Saturday, December 11, 2010

Boredom

So what do you do when you are bored?

I was bored out of my wits these past few days. My internship doesn't start until Monday, and I have no commitments. At all.

To be honest though, I seriously appreciate the boredom. Being bored is a luxury; finding things to occupy our time and satiate the otherwise empty feeling is a natural thing to do I guess.

But time is as transient as it gets to me (unless I am in great pain. Relativity!). When I get bored, my body shuts down slowly. I get lethargic. I get sleepy. I get listless. I get disinterested. And the weather here in Malaysia doesn't help. At all. I wonder how I grew up until 19 in this climate?

The odd thing being, while my body functions in the most unhealthy manner after a few days of bumming around being bored, my mind for one did not stop spinning new tales, new worlds, new ideas. While I sat there being bored and watching the wall, I was simultaneously in another world. Slaying monsters, debating, researching in a thought lab, pondering on science and philosophy. If I could find the time and effort to pen them down, no matter how gibberish.

All these thinking done without moving. Oh heck I haven't cut my fingernails. That's been 3 days since I thought of it, and its really long.

When my internship starts, I wonder when can I afford such luxury again? Being bored that is.

Truly, life is not defined as crying the first five years, studying the next 20, working the next 30 and crying till you reach the grave. Might as well be an android. Android 2.1 maybe?

All these, while pondering the fact that matter blinks in and out of existence. That is experimentally observed in two pieces of electrically charged plates with supposed vacuum between them and well sealed. And naturally, people begin to think that our universe is perhaps something that blinks in and out of existence, just as the 'blinking matter' that exists for nanoseconds. Relativity I guess.

On another note, books really are cheaper here huh? Anybody know the price for 'History of Western Philosophy' by Bertrand Russell and where?

2 comments:

chelseaorange said...

You're in Malaysia!?

The Annoying Bird said...

yes you dungu. why did you think i sms-ed you using my msian number? haha