Wednesday, September 01, 2010

Hmm

As the title suggests, I suck at titles.

But well, been meaning to do this post for some time (my housemates and the constant call for blood on the computer does NOT help).

Onward to the topic of discussion this time : Racism.

First and foremost, a vaguely related note. Personally, I find the idea of patriotism and nationality a somewhat "bad" idea. I would envision humanity without borders, just one species plaguing the world without distinction from each other. But well, there's still time for our species to grow eh?

And regarding the issue of racism in my homeland, it strikes me that we are still in a paradoxical situation. Strange that, when asked, most people would say they have good friends from other races. They agree on unity and harmony. But really, if everyone says that, who the heck is fanning the fire then?

Politicians, no doubt.

Despite the obvious blame that people are pointing at the politicians, I would like to in turn point back at everyone. Let's face it. We are an immature bunch.

Why do I type so? In my honest opinion, we have yet to achieve a decent state of racial harmony. There are no sensitive issues, only sensitive people. At the mention of anythiing remotely racist, you can bet your money people will begin condemning them. The racist people I mean. They get angry, they flame, they curse and they call for blood of the racist people.

Interestingly, when you detach yourself from being 'one of them' to being an 'observer', you find that pretty much we're doing the same thing as politicians. Calling for blood. Asking for justice.

I am not saying that we should not allow people to be trampled on by policies that are discriminating. I am also not asking that people condone the acts of those in the obvious wrong.

Merely stating that, when can we, as a society, tear down the barrier that is known as 'race', not only in my country, but in the whole wide planet? When can we, as a society safely ignore people who utter extreme remarks and regard them as deranged and that's it? When can we have no need to call for justice or blood of those who would threaten others?

Such barbaric creatures we are, always calling for blood of our kin.

I don't know about you, but certainly I would not seek blood (unless I have godlike powers and cease to be human, but that's another issue) of others.

Ultimately, that is what we are I guess, humans. We revel in conflict, we worship gods of war.

And I do hope someday, my homeland will be a place of peace, where religion and racial issues are spoken of openly and respectfully. Differences are celebrated, not tolerated.

PS : We do not need tolerance. We need acceptance more, don't you agree?

1 comment:

chelseaorange said...

i like what you said about "There are no sensitive issues, only sensitive people."