Monday, August 29, 2011

Purpose

I am a firm believer in having a purpose. In anything significant that we do, of course there are lee-ways for such a statement. After all, we sometimes like to space out and stay in the other zone.

Back to my point. I am a firm believer in having a purpose. Sometimes, I feel as though our generation are a disillusioned bunch. We don't question anything, because everything has been laid out nicely for us.

The education system is in solid grounds now, thus nobody ever challenges it. Because challenging it requires us to put forth a better alternative. No one as of yet has seem to come forward with a better idea.

And because of that, students 'follow the path', simply because it is safe. And our future generations will follow this style as well, improving the path as they go. There are no major problems with that, my problem is that people do not think of why they do things anymore.

How many of you are studying because you want to? Most of us feel compelled to pursue education because it will put us in an advantage in searching for a better paying job, which will mean more money and a more comfortable life. How many of us actually believes in pursuing academic excellence because of what it offers in essence, i.e. knowledge?

To begin with, question the reasons behind every significant action of yours. People I know, in fact almost everybody I know have a generic purpose in things they do. I join this activity because it will look good in my CV. I do this because I want to meet more people (which is actually a good thing I suppose). And most of all, I work because I must feed myself. The last point is my point of contention, I don't believe we work solely for the purpose of feeding ourselves. Society cannot persist on a community of people wanting to feed themselves. It will degenerate eventually with greed, corruption and anarchy. It is symbolic of civilization that we know prudence; know what is enough and know the purpose in pursuing further.

I must admit I was mainstream once. I was living a completely comfortable life, everything accounted for from birth. Food, shelter you name it. Just one thing I was not provided in that totally dependent life. Purpose.

Not that I have found a purpose though, its not solid as of yet. But I just wish to highlight the fact that, we live our lives not for an awesome CV, not for employment and certainly more than genetic requirements. Because we have intelligence, we must transcend the genetic purpose.

PS: No longer do we have those questions about dreams as we did during childhood. What do you want to be when you grow up?

........Doctor. To save lives. Ok maybe even the children are generic now as well

1 comment:

chelseaorange said...

I am not sure if i'm recollecting this correctly. But you once told me that your purpose (or one of them anyway) was to discover God.

Not God as in the religious sense of the word. But a universal understanding of the world. In other words, God as in knowledge of God. Or were you equating God with knowledge. I can't be sure now.