Thursday, December 20, 2007

Weeeooo

Righto! Update! In the mood anyway, so why not?

I am going to Singapore tomorrow ( Thursday the 21st ) to visit my bro for christmas ( and.... $never mind$ )

Should be back around after Christmas :)

__________________________________________________________________

Hmm.. I think I shall update a bit on anime.

I watched Claymore recently. Can't say I am too happy with the ending, but overall quite satisfied anyway since it followed the manga faithfully until around episode 19 ( And yeah I hate the director for doing the ending of his own ).

Basically its not a chibi anime like the one you see on the picture above =/. Its brutal, full of blood and decapitating scenes. In short, gory. But rest assured, no nudity :D I hate the overboard nudity they like to include in animes. Make the mangaka and the producers look like hentais (perverts), and myself for watching them -_-"

Basically I like this series. Its dark and depressing. Haha

My fav chars : Teresa, Galatea, Miria, Flora ( wtf all names end with 'a' and all single digit Claymores ). And yeah, Helen's character is not bad. Teresa and Galatea my favouretest though.

Rating : 4.6 / 5 ( For initial 19 episodes ). After that I refuse to rate.
A Must-Watch for people who liked Elfen Lied (though not as emotional) and big swords.


Also watched Shakugan no Shana. Got it from Sam. He referred it to 'Shakugan no SHITna' because he didn't like it ( and stupid me that time actually checked up Shitna in wikipedia, and was wondering why was there no such article ).

It was an alright anime, though not at all exceptional. One thing though, it does seem a bit overboard on trying to attract males with fetish. Character with big boobs, all kinds of costumes ( loli girls, maid outfit.. ) and incestous relationship. Disturbing. But it was alright since it was not exactly excessive.

Rating : 3.6 / 5
A Can-Watch for everyone.

And lastly, this one is in a class of its own.

I stumbled upon this strange anime entitled 'Shinigami no Ballad', which literally translates into 'Shinigami's Ballad' or in Wiki its 'Ballad of a Shinigami'. (Shinigami = God of Death).

A Death God who is a crybaby and introduces herself with an ID card. Now I have seen it all.

This anime is bizarre because despite the involvement of a Death God, there's no action, no main plot, and basically nothing much of interest, basically because throughout the anime, the characters just talk. Nothing much.

And the producers try to introduce an argument that not all Death-related characters are wearing black hoods, with skulls for face and an evil grin. Wicked. They show the Death God as a crybaby girl ( dressed in pure white and white hair somemore ) with a badass sickle and a sarcastic cat.

But IT IS in a class of its own. Outstanding!

Because of what they talk about. Ah I think I am not making sense here =/ I think I am ranting. Lemme explain clearer.

There's only six episodes available, and the central character is a Shinigami named Momo with her kuro neko ( black cat ) named Daniel. Their task is to bring souls to the afterlife, and they provide house-visiting service to people who have regrets after they passed on.

Basically, it does make you think a bit about your life by showing you various scenes of life and the loss of it to people.

And this does not fall into any category that I can actually think of. Philosophical maybe? Naah, not fantasy, Psychological maybe.

No battle actions, no sexy anime girls ( Momo's cute though ), heck no antagonists and 6 stand alone stories. Perfect.

My rating is 4.6 / 5. ( kinda high, cause I really like it )
A must-watch for people who like to ponder about life and stuff.

An interesting quote by Momo.

"Dead people can't cry. So I cry on behalf of them." - Momo the girl God of Death.

___________________________________________________________________

Also been to the cinemas quite a few time recently.

This is what I think of "I am Legend" star Will Smith.

Rather good. Not bad, albeit a bit that reminds me of '28 weeks later'. Ya know, the zombie stuff and all.

I think the main idea of the story is to tell how Will Smith slowly becomes crazy living by himself with only his dog Sam and the zombies for company. Go watch it yourself, though its rather exciting the first half when you know there are fucking zombies, but bracing yourself for a sudden spring and 'WAAAAHH' by a zombie right on the big screen into your face as you stared down its fucking disgusting throat and disfigured face. Hideous. After that, the plot thickens, and not much suspense. Haha..

Rating : 7.8 / 10



Another movie would be "The Golden Compass".

Is it just me or are the books suddenly springing out in every bookstore? Sounds to me like the movies is a great way to promote a book. Fuck you all I say. Reading something because its famous is a stupid thing to do.

"Its in the movies, its famous, so it must be good! After all, who would want to make a movie out of a shitty story?"

Can't argue with that logic, but it pisses me off that people don't have the initiative to read a good book, rather waiting for it to be famous then read it so that you won't be in an awkward situation like

"What? You haven't read that book? Wtf its so famous and you didn't read it? GET A LIFE MANNnnn".

I doubt people even know the trilogy is dubbed as 'The Dark Materials' trilogy =/

Back to the movie. I would say its..... fine. Not too good, not too bad. Not outstanding. Nothing special.

Many scenes specially to introduce a character only ( like Serafina Pekkala ), and the story pace is fucking fast. O_o

Many people think the bear battle is awesome. I kind of thought it lacked. A lot. The reason Ragnar lost was not because he was roaring and Iorek took the fucking opportunity and won by chance. If I did not remember wrongly ( correct me if I am wrong ), Ragnar lost because he overindulged by being a king. Something to do with him making a pretty armour with no defense properties at all. And all the movie portrays is him being fucking arrogant and Iorek is a fucking bear who won by chance. Sounds dumb to me.

Fuck, they even portrayed Coulter ( Nicole Kidman ) as the bad character, where in actuality her character is not exactly evil.

The ending of the book, the seriously most fucking intense and suspenseful moment of the first book IS NOT IN THE MOVIE!!!!! WHAT THE FUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ( though most of you who actually reads my blog probably have read the book, I won't post the spoiler here )

The movie does seriously lack a lot. If they could do a good job with Lord of The Rings, why not will Philip Pullman's Dark Materials? I wouldn't mind if the movie was 3 hours long. I only want a good movie adaptation of the book.

The trend of promoting books through movie is disturbing to me. I don't like it.

Rating : 5.4 / 10



Movie predictions :
What movie adaption from trilogies possible next? or What would you hope to see (well done) in the big screen?

I would say..
1) Old World trilogy by Garth Nix ( Sabriel, Lirael and Abhorsen )

2) Sword of Truth by Terry Goodkind ( 11 books altogether. Made a review before. But if this is going to hit the big screen, this is fucking tricky to make cause of all its twist in the plot and such. Not to mention several sexual scenes involved. But this is a damn smart book )

3) Starcraft. Seriously, they should make a movie of Starcraft. I would loveeeeeee a movie of Staarcraft. Seriously. No really I swear. If they don't make a mess out of it anyway =/

Any ideas? I can't seem to come up with the many books I have read. I forgot -_-"


Prince Caspian of the Narnian story is coming. Damn they are not going in chronological order, just hope it doesn't suck. The witchy was ok though.

___________________________________________________________________

I know this is a very long post. This will be the last part, I promise.

Everyone should get your hands on this book.

"Malaysian Politicians say the darndest thing."

At a rather steep price, but its worth the read I say. Shows you what funny characters our politicians are.

I quote one here..

"Fuck you! Fuck you!" <-- Guess who? Hint : Kinabatangan and 'bocor' He actually said that in Parliament -_-", and shamelessly admitted that 'if there had been a chair, I would have thrown it as well'. Well, it was it the book :P Our politics is certainly an interesting subject.

The book does tell you how our politicians have a 'good sense of humour'.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i watched i am legend today too! despite will smith being in it and all, i thought it was a rather ordinary movie lah. not even scary apart from the zombies who have high threshold of pain. sick looking things.

-aimee